MOSQUITO KA114 AND THE MATERIALS WE HAVE
We are lucky to have some of the original Oak Flooring from this historic building.
The Oak timber flooring we have is extremely rare and was removed during restoration work and is very limited.
In 1926 the Priory and part of the grounds was sold to the Ministry of Defence and it served as the Inland Area (Training Command).
In the Second World War, Bentley Priory was the headquarters of RAF Fighter Command and in this role gained historic significance as the RAF fighter command centre at the time of the Battle of Britain with Air Chief Marshal Sir Hugh Dowding in command, he was honoured with a peerage, as Baron Dowding of Bentley Priory in 1943 for his achievements in winning one of the crucial battles in British History (The Battle Of Britain).
After the war the site took on various RAF administrative roles until final closure took place on 30 May 2008.
In 2013 an appeal was launched to turn the priory house into a museum commemorating its vital role in the Battle Of Britain. The Bentley Priory Museum was formally opened to the public in September 2013 by Prince Charles. It commenced full public access in January 2014, managed by The Bentley Priory Battle of Britain Trust.
Air Chief Marshal Sir Hugh Dowding accompanying King George VI and Queen Elizabeth during a visit to Bentley Priory in September 1940
Copyright © 2010-2019 Historic Gifts